Thursday, December 16, 2010

Asian Chicken Soup





This recipe is special to me because the ingredients have roots coming from very dear friends I have.  I have friends from different ethnic backgrounds.  One day I was given some stalks of lemongrass that was growing in my friends backyard.  I was so excited to use it.  I went crazy researching ingredients I thought would work in a chicken soup.  They had also introduced me to Sticky Rice.  An Asian rice cooked in a bamboo basket that anyone can purchase at any Asian Market.  What a great combination of the two together.  I have been making this soup for years and is a very special favorite among old and new friends.

3 lbs picked boneless chicken thighs
64 ounces water
64 ounces (low sodium) chicken broth
2 cups each, diced carrots, celery and onion
5 crushed garlic cloves
2 tbs grated fresh ginger
3 tbs grated Lemon Grass
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
1/4 cup Oyster Sauce
1 TBS sliced jalapeno pepper
1 pkg fresh spinach
1/4 cup grated cheese
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves


1.  Cook chicken in large sauce pot with water and  broth  on high heat until fully cooked.  Approx. 20 mins.
2.  Add carrots, celery, onions, garlic, ginger and lemon grass.  Lower temperature to med heat.  Cook until veggies are soft.  Approx 20 mins.
3.  Add chili sauce, oyster sauce, jalapeno, spinach, cheese, cilantro and basil.  Simmer for additional 15 mins.
Serve with Asian Sticky Rice or favorite white rice

No comments:

Post a Comment