2 Tbs olive oil
1 lb ground beef
salt and pepper, to taste
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/4 cup red cooking wine
2 dry bay leaves
1 (28 0z) can crushed tomatoes
1 can beef broth
1/4 c fresh basil
1 can Cannellini Beans (white kidney) with juice
1/4 c grated cheese, plus more for topping.
1 cup Ditalini Pasta or Elbows (I use gluten free pasta)
1. In large skillet heat oil med heat, saute beef until brown. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
2. Add garlic, onion and celery. Saute until soft.
3. Add cooking wine, scrapping bottom to deglaze pan.
4. Add basil and bay leaves, stir
5. Add crushed tomatoes and broth, stir and simmer.
6. Cook pasta in boiling water, (on the harder side). Drain and add to skillet.
7. Add beans, with juice and grated cheese, stir.
8. Season with salt and pepper, as needed.
This is a thicker version made with shell pasta.