Thursday, March 30, 2017
Cast Iron Corn Bread
8 oz corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt, plus 1 tsp of sea salt put aside for later use.
1 can creamed corn
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 c oil
1/4 cup diced red bell peppers
1 TBS jalapeño, chopped
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Spray large cast iron pan with cooking spray on bottom and along sides.
3. In large mixing bowl add corn meal, sugar, baking powder and 1 tsp sea salt. Mix well.
4. In same bowl add creamed corn, beaten eggs, oil, peppers and cheese. Stir to combine. Do not over mix.
5. Add batter to cast iron skillet and spread evenly across skillet with spoon.
6. Bake in oven for approx. 30-35 mins. You will know corn bread is done by sticking a toothpick in center of corn bread and toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven.
7. Sprinkle remaining 1 tsp sea salt over top of corn bread. Serve warm.