Sunday, February 14, 2016
Coconut Cream of Celery Soup with Cherry Pepper Creme Fraiche
4 TBS olive oil
4 cups celery ribs, sliced thin (plus 1/2 cup celery leaves for garnish)
1 parsnip, peel and sliced thin
2 cups leeks, sliced thin
1 large bay leaf
2 TBS butter
1 tsp garlic, chopped fine
5 large basil leaves, chopped
1/4 cup parsley leaves
1 can cannellini bean, drained (reserve 1/4 cup for garnish)
16 ozs chicken broth (low sodium)
14 oz coconut cream
1/8-1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp coarse pepper (plus for garnish)
1 lemon, juiced
Cherry Pepper Sauce:
1/3 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
3 large cherry peppers (pickled) (plus 1 for garnish)
1/3 tsp garlic, chopped fine
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp salt
1. In large skillet heat oil on med/high heat.
2. Add celery, parsnip, leeks and bay leaf. Stir and cover to sweat for approx 10 - 12 mins. Remove cover and stir making sure ingredients do not stick to bottom of pan.
3. Add butter, garlic, basil, parsley and beans. Stir. Saute for 3 mins.
4. Add 1/2 of the chicken broth and the 14 oz coconut milk. Stir. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 - 15 mins. Make sure veggies are soft.
5. Puree soup in blender (two separate portions work fine). Blend 1/2 of the soup well until creamy consistency. Add to clean bowl. Blend remaining soup, well. Add all soup back to saute pan.
6. Season with salt and pepper to liking. Add 2 TBS lemon juice. Stir.
7. To make sauce: Blend or puree all ingredients until smooth
8. Pour soup into individual bowls. Top with beans, chopped cherry peppers and celery leaves. Drizzle cherry pepper sauce around garnish. Sprinkle with coarse pepper.
Makes 4-5 serves