Thursday, March 30, 2017
8 oz corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt, plus 1 tsp of sea salt put aside for later use.
1 can creamed corn
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 c oil
1/4 cup diced red bell peppers
1 TBS jalapeño, chopped
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Spray large cast iron pan with cooking spray on bottom and along sides.
3. In large mixing bowl add corn meal, sugar, baking powder and 1 tsp sea salt. Mix well.
4. In same bowl add creamed corn, beaten eggs, oil, peppers and cheese. Stir to combine. Do not over mix.
5. Add batter to cast iron skillet and spread evenly across skillet with spoon.
6. Bake in oven for approx. 30-35 mins. You will know corn bread is done by sticking a toothpick in center of corn bread and toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven.
7. Sprinkle remaining 1 tsp sea salt over top of corn bread. Serve warm.
Tuesday, March 28, 2017
1 1/2 lbs chicken tenderloins
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS butter
1/4 cup water
2 TBS honey
3 TBS dijon mustard
1/2 cup gorgonzola crumbles
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, flakes or chopped fine
salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh Parsley for garnish
1. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
2. Heat olive oil and butter in large skillet, medium/high heat. Add chicken, brown on both sides until almost done. Season with salt and pepper. Approx. 4-5 mins on each side. (chicken will continue to cook in sauce).
3. Add water, honey and dijon mustard. Stir. Sauce will start to thicken.
4. Top with gorgonzola and sun dried tomatoes. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
2 TBS sugar
1 cup dark chocolate morsels, melted
1/2 cup cream, plus
8 oz. cream cheese, warm
4-8 ounces mascarpone cheese
2 TBS butter, room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp habanero chili peppers, chopped fine
1 can (14.5 oz) peaches (no sugar), sliced
2 TBS butter
3 TBS brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBS rum
1 can whipped cream
1/2 cup dark chocolate, melted (for drizzle)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 TBS habanero peppers, sliced for garnish
1. Whisk all ingredients for crepes in a medium size bowl.
2. Heat a small non stick skillet on med/high. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into skillet. Swirl batter around pan to thin out crepe. Cook for approx 30 seconds or until starts to brown. Turn over and slightly brown other side. Place on wax paper. Repeat process for remaining crepes.
3. To make Chocolate Filling: Melt chocolate in microwave for approx. 1 min. Stir Add back to microwave for additional 30 second intervals, stir. (Do not overheat or it will burn). Add warm cream cheese, butter, vanilla and peppers to small bowl. Mix well. Add to chocolate, stir well to combine. But aside
4. To make Peach Topping: Heat a medium skillet med/high temperature. Add ingredients. Stir. Cook until sauce starts to thicken.
5. To assemble crepes: Add chocolate filling to center of crepe. Fold in half, then in half again. Add peach topping on top. Drizzle chocolate over top. Dust with powdered sugar. Add whipped cream with slices on habanero peppers on top.
Makes 9 crepes
Tuesday, June 28, 2016
Monday, June 27, 2016
These Berbere Ribs are a fantastic party/bbq food. You will be the hit of your get together with this killer recipe. These ribs are stuffed with char grilled jalapeños and cheddar cheese then secured around a rib with smoked bacon. The flavors are balanced with a sweet bbq sauce.
1 rack St Louis Style ribs, cleaned and trimmed
1 cup Berbere Spices
1 small bottle of cider vinegar
2 bottles beer
1/4 cup olive oil
6-8 jalapeno peppers, sliced in half, lengthwise (seeds removed)
8 ozs sharp cheddar cheese, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces.
1 lb bacon, thin sliced
1 cup sweet bbq sauce
1. Preheat grill to 325-350 degrees.
2. Clean and trim ribs by removing extra fat and membrane. Pour or brush on cider vinegar on both sides of ribs. Season with salt and pepper. Rub Berbere spice on both sides of ribs. Place ribs on rack and place on baking sheet. Place baking rack in center of hot grill. Pour 1 bottle of beer into baking sheet (for moisture). Cover with aluminum foil. Cover and cook for 1 hour. Remove foil from ribs, with cover down cook for another 45-60 mins. Remove from grill. Slice ribs between the bones.
3. Slices jalapeños. Brush with olive oil and place on grill. Cook for approx. 3 mins on each side to char. Season with salt.
4. To assemble ribs: Place cheese on top of rib meat. Place pepper on top of cheese. Wrap bacon around to hold together. Brush with bbq sauce. Grill for approx. 5 mins per side, making sure all sides are grilled. Add additional bbq sauce, if needed.
Thursday, June 23, 2016
Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup mayo
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cup peanut butter crunch coffee, strong (or favorite flavor)
Peanut Butter Frosting Ingredients:
12 oz peanut butter chips, melted
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
4 TBS butter, softened
1 cup half and half, warm
4 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar (approx)
Chocolate Coffee Glaze Ingredients:
1 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
1 TBS strong peanut butter crunch coffee
2 TBS half and half, warm
12 peanut butter cups, cut into 1/4 pieces
For cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
1. Mix dry ingredients in bowl.
2. Mix wet ingredients together. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well. Divide 1/2 of the batter into one round pan. Add remaining batter in second round pan. Bake approx 25-30 mins. Or until done. Remove from oven and cool. Remove from pan. Slice each round cake in half making four rounds.
3. Peanut Butter Frosting: Melt chips in microwave in safe bowl for approx 1 minute. Stir. Add to mixing bowl with all other ingredients. Whisk well.
4. Add frosting to top of one round. Spread evenly across cake. Add another cake round to top of frosted cake. Repeat process with other cake rounds. Note: Each layer should have frosting between. Frost top of cake and sides. Spread evenly and make it smooth. Chill cake for approx. 30 minutes. Add a second layer on top and sides of cake. Spread to make smooth. Reserve approx. 1/2 cup of frosting for piping design around bottom of cake. (optional)
5. Coffee Glaze: Melt chocolate in microwave for 30 mins. Stir. Stir in coffee and warm half and half. Pour glaze over top of cake allowing it to drool over the sides.
6. Place cut pieces of peanut butter cups in center of cake. Let sit for 30 mins before serving.
Tuesday, May 31, 2016
This is a super duper pea "nutty" great recipe. When I order a shipment of Door County Products, they were so generous to send me a sample of their Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee. I was very intrigued and couldn't wait to create a new dish. I knew that peanuts go well with an Asian flair so I decided to start there. I first got the Peanut Butter Coffee brewing. This started my taste buds flowing. The rest is history!
1 lb chicken tenders, trimmed
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tbs pepper
1/3 cup red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 TBS ginger, minced
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 limes, juiced
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 TBS creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 cup Peanut Butter Crunch coffee, brewed
1 TBS Door County Mustard
1 TBS Sour Cream
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup peanuts, crushed
1. Drain chicken and pat with paper towels to absorb excess wetness.
2. Place flour, salt and pepper in med/large bowl. Stir. Toss chicken to coat. Remove and place on clean dish, shaking off excess flour.
3. In blender or food processor add all other ingredients. Pulse until blended. Add to bowl. (Reserve 1/2 cup to drizzle on chicken for later)
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Dip each piece of chicken into mixture and coat thoroughly. Place on slightly greased baking sheet. Bake for approx. 8-10 mins or until golden brown (temp. depends on thickness of chicken). Flip chicken 1/2 way through baking time. Remove from oven. Drizzle with extra sauce and sprinkle with crushed peanuts. Serve on favorite salad or lettuce wraps.
Note: I used a counter top electric grill with press cover. Slightly grease with cooking spray. Grill for approx. 3-4 mins.
Serve on favorite salad or as tacos in lettuce wraps