Saturday, May 25, 2013
Italian Sweet Potato Salad
3 lbs cooked fresh sweet potatoes
6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups mayo
4 oz mascarpone cheese, soft
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs cider vinegar
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp fresh ginger root
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb bacon, fried and crumbled
1. Cut potatoes into approx. 3/4 inch cubes. Cook until soft, but not over cooked. (you will know they are done when you can easily stab knife through center. Drain and put aside.
2. Cook eggs for approx. 15-20 mins, peel and then dice.
3. Cook bacon, drain on paper towels, dice. (This step can wait a bit while salad is chilling)
4. In large mixing bowl, add mayo, softened mascarpone cheese, brown sugar, vinegar, onion, zest, allspice, ginger, parsley and salt and pepper. Mix well.
5. Add potatoes in mayonnaise mixture, fold dressing into potatoes.
6. Chill for few hours before serving.
7. When salad is chilled, stir. Then add bacon crumbles to top.