Monday, May 12, 2014
Bacon Wrapped Pepper Jack Grilled Cheese with Cilantro Mayo
8 slices Italian Bread cut approx. 1/2 inch thick
8 slices pepper jack cheese, folded in half
4 large slices fresh tomatoes, sliced approx. 1/8 inch thick
1 lb bacon (longer strips works best)
4 pieces lettuce leaves
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Lay out four pieces of Italian bread. Spread with sauce.
2. Layer folded piece of pepper jack cheese, slice of tomato then remaining slice of pepper jack cheese. Top with remaining slice of bread.
3. Take bacon strips and wrap around sandwich, completely covering and tucking in edges. Each sandwich will use approx. 5-6 slices of bacon.
4. Place sandwiches carefully in heated skillet. Grill until brown. With tongs, flip and grill opposite side. Stand sandwiches on sides and grill on all sides until brown. Repeat process until sandwich is completely brown and crispy. If sandwich does not sit by itself, sandwiches can rest against another for support.
5. Place on paper towel sheets to absorb excess grease.
6. Cut in half and place in center of lettuce leaf to serve.
Makes 4 sandwiches
To make sauce: Mix together mayo and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.