Applewood Smoked Clams and Truffle Spaghetti in a Truffle Sauce
4 TBS olive oil
¾ cup onion, chopped fine
½ cup pancetta, diced fine
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced
¼ cup cherry pepper, chopped
½ cup dry wine
20 Little Neck clams, scrubbed well
½ tsp red crushed pepper flakes
10 oz whole clams with juice
8 ozs clam juice
¼ cup parsley, leaves picked
5 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
1 oregano leave
2 lemons, juiced
¼ tsp black coarse pepper
salt (only if needed)
2 TBS truffle butter
2 whole black truffles
6 (12x12 inch) sheets parchment paper
Applewood smoke pellets
Garnish: Clam shells, fresh parsley and shaved truffles
- In large skillet heat oil on med/high. Add onions, pancetta, garlic, tomatoes and cherry pepper. Stir. Saute for 5-8 mins or until cooked. Deglaze pan with wine. Stir. Add clams, red pepper flakes, juices, herbs, pepper, salt and truffle butter. Stir together. Cover and let cook for approx. 8-10 mins or until clams are opened. Discard any unopened clams. Remove most clams from shells. Discard shells. Reserve some clams in shells for garnish.
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and add to clam skillet. Toss
- Add approx 1 cup of spaghetti into center of each sheet of parchment paper. Fold over top to seal. Tuck under ends to seal. Place on baking sheet.
- Place in preheated gas grill with wood chips (I use a smoke tube), and small bowl of water for moisture. Smoke for 10-15 mins. Remove
- Open packets by leaving ends tucked and separating top by pulling open. Add clam shells, parsley and shaved truffles.
Lemon Truffle Pasta Dough:
3 large eggs
2 TBS water
½ tsp truffle, chopped fine
1 tsp lemon zest
2 ¾ cups flour
⅛ tsp salt
- Break eggs into glass measuring cup. Add water. Total should measure ¾ cup. Add additional water, if less than ¾ cup. Add truffle and zest. Stir to incorporate.
- Add flour to mixing bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer. Turn to speed 2 and gradually add eggs/water mixture. Mix for 30 seconds. Stop mixer and exchange dough hook for flat beater. Turn on to speed 3 and knead for 2 mins. Remove dough from bowl and hand knead for 1 minute. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 mins.
- Put through pasta roller at least 10 times, adjusting thickness throughout to thin dough. Flour sheets of dough to prevent sticking. Extrude dough through spaghetti cutter. Place on floured sheet until ready to cook.
- To cook pasta: Place in large pot of boiling water. Cook for only 30 seconds to 1 mins. Pasta will continue to cook in clam sauce.