Monday, December 28, 2015
Baked Eggplant Stuffed Caprese Duck Breast
2 ( 7.5 oz ) Roasted Garlic Maple Leaf Duck Breast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarse pepper
1/2 lb pancetta, sliced
1 small eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick rounds
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup - 1 cup cooking oil
4 ozs fresh mozzarella, sliced
8 large basil leaves
1 large ripe tomato, cubed
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp coarse pepper
1. In nonstick skillet, heat to med/low. Score the duck skin with a knife, diagonally across the duck breast about 1/4 inch apart. Pat duck breast dry with paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Slice across opposite direction across duck breast. Place skin side down and render fat by cooking for approx 8 mins. Flip over and cook for approx. additional 4 mins. Remove from pan and let rest. Reserve fat in skillet.
2. Cube pancetta into 1/2 - 1 inch pieces. In same skillet saute pancetta on medium heat until crispy. Remove and cover until ready to use.
3. Peel and slice eggplant
4. Place beaten eggs in small bowl. Place flour, crumbs and cheese in separate bowl, mix.
5. Heat about 1/2 cup in same skillet used to cook duck and pancetta on med/high temperature. Dredge eggplant rounds in egg, then in flour/crumb mixture. Make sure to coat on both side well. Place in skillet and fry until brown, flip and brown other side. Season with salt and pepper. Place on paper towel to absorb excess oil. Approx 1 1/2 mins - 2 mins on each side. Any left over fried eggplant can be used in another dish or freeze.
6. Slice eachduck in half ( lengthwise), leaving one end attached ( like a butterfly cut). Stuff duck with approx 4 pieces of fried eggplant across inside of duck. Top with mozzarella cheese. Top with two basil leaves. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 5-7 mins or until reaches 155 degrees.
7. In small bowl add tomatoes, 6 basil leaves (chopped), olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Toss.
8. Remove duck from oven. Top with tomato salad and chopped pancetta.