This is a one skillet dish.
4 TBS olive oil
1/2 cup celery, chopped fine
1/2 cup onions, chopped fine
2 large cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 lb ground beef (80/20)
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped, reserve some for topping
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
32 ozs chicken broth
8 ozs elbows
12 ozs broccoli florets
1 lb american cheese
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup blended Romano and Parmesan cheese
2 TBS butter
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp coarse black pepper, or to taste
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs, for topping
1. In a large oven safe skillet heat oil on med/high heat on stove top. Add celery, onions and garlic. Stir and saute for 2-3 mins. Add beef, parsley and basil. Stir and saute for approx. 10 mins or until beef is brown.
2. Preheat broiler to 375 degrees.
3. Add broth to skillet, bring to a boil. Adjust temp to high heat. Add elbows to skillet, stir. Add broccoli to top, cover and let cook for approx. 10 mins or until elbows are al dente (med to slightly on hard side). Turn off burner.
4. Add american cheese, 4 ozs of cheddar (reserving the other 4 ozs), romano/parmesan cheese
and butter. Stir and melt cheeses well. Taste. Add salt and pepper to liking.
5. Add bread crumbs and remaining cheddar cheese on top. Sprinkle some parsley, and course pepper on top for color. Place in broiler for 1-2 mins (broilers may vary) until top is crusted. (Be careful not to burn).