Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Caprese Grilled Cheese



Ahhh, the comfort of a hot Grilled Cheese.  This takes me back to
my younger years when Mom would make this for us kids, for a quick lunch or dinner.
That crispy outside crust with that oozy gooey melted cheese.  What kid or even adult could resist it.

I remember camping one year and for lunch my Mom added 
a slice of tomato inside my sandwich.  My first thought was oh no, it’s ruined.
I have to admit, it became a favorite and I was certainly a fan.  

For this recipe, I wanted to kick it up a notch.  Besides, it’s what I do.
My friend gave me some big, ripe red and yellow tomatoes.  
My decision...I am making a Caprese grilled cheese.  
How pretty they would look too if the center of the slice of tomato, 
was visible on the top.  A heart shape cut out was necessary.
Give this easy, light and delicious recipe a try.  You will love 
how the sandwich pops with the nuttiness of the bread, basil pesto and balsamic glaze.
Knife and fork, let’s eat!





 Caprese Grilled Cheese

Ingredients:
4 slices Three Bakers Max Omega Bread
2 TBS butter
4 TBS basil pesto, found in most grocery stores 
2 slices fresh mozzarella cheese or other 
2 slices tomato, 3 to 4 inches round 
4 TBS balsamic glaze, found in vinegar isle

Directions:
1.  With cookie cutter; stamp out a heart or circle shape in center of two slices of bread.
2.  Butter one side of each slice
3.  Add two slices (non cut) bread in preheated (low/medium heat) non stick skillet, buttered side down. 
4.  Spread pesto, add cheese and tomato.  Add the cut out slice of bread on top, buttered side .  Carefully flip when golden brown.


Note:  This recipe can also be toasted or pressed in panini press
Note:  Size the cookie cutter against the slice of bread to get correct size 

No comments:

Post a Comment