Saturday, October 18, 2014
Folded Crepe Potato Cheddar Pierogies with Caramelized Onions in a Lemon Butter Sauce
1/2 lb bacon or pancetta, fried broken into pieces
Ingredients for Crepes:
1 cup flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1/8 tsp salt
Ingredients for Filling:
1 1/2 cups leftover garlic mashed potatoes, seasoned (room temperature)
1/4 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 TBS parsley, fresh chopped (plus extra for garnish)
Ingredients for onions:
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS butter
1/2 red onion, sliced
2 TBS brown sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp course black pepper
Ingredients for Sauce:
2 sticks butter, melted
1 lemon, zest and juiced
1. Fry bacon, drain on paper towels and cover until ready to use.
2. To make crepes: In large bowl whisk together all ingredients. Heat a small (5-6 inch) round non stick pan on medium heat. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into pan and swirl around pan to thin out. Cook crepe for approx. 1 min. Flip onto sheet of wax paper. Repeat process for each crepe. Makes about 8 crepes.
3. Filling: In separate bowl mix together filling ingredients. Put aside until ready to use.
4. To assemble pierogies: Add about 2/3 TBS filling in center of each crepe. Fold two sides over and then the two ends, completely enclosing pierogi. Place folded end down into greased baking dish. Repeat process for remaining pierogies. Bake in over at 350 degrees for 20-25 mins.
5. Onions: In same non stick pan used to make crepes, add oil and butter. Heat on medium until butter is melted. Add onions, sauté until soft. Add brown sugar and vinegar. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Sauce: In small saucepan heat butter to melt. Add lemon zest and juice, stir. Serve over top of pierogies with caramelized onion, crushed bacon and fresh parsley.
Makes 8 pierogies