Monday, May 11, 2015
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Sandwich with Celery Slaw
1/2 cup fry oil
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup buffalo sauce
8 chicken tenders, pat dry on paper towels
4 ozs blue cheese crumbles
8 Slices potato bread
1/2 cup mayo, for spreading on bread
1/2 cup celery, chopped fine
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 cup shredded cabbage
1/4 cup red onion
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 tsp celery seeds
1 TBS sugar
2 TBS vinegar
1/8 tsp salt, or to liking
1/8 tsp course pepper, or to liking
Mac and Cheese Ingredients:
1/2 lb shells or elbows, cooked
2 TBS butter
1/2 lb cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk
3 TBS grated cheese
1/4 tsp or salt, or to liking
1/4 tsp course pepper, or to liking
1. In large skillet add fry oil. Heat on med/high
2. Add bread crumbs in medium size bowl. Add eggs in separate bowl and beat. Add buffalo sauce in third bowl, put aside.
3. Dip tenders in egg then into crumbs, coating on all sides. Add to hot oil in skillet. Fry for approx. 3-5 mins (depending on thickness). Flip and brown other side. Remove from skillet and place on paper towel to drain excess oil from chicken.
4. Mix all ingredients of slaw in medium size bowl. Chill until ready to use.
5. Boil water for pasta, cook al dente (lightly medium). Drain and add to cheese sauce.
6. Cheese Sauce: In medium/low size pan add butter. Melt on medium heat. Do not burn. Add cheddar cheese and milk. Melt completely, stirring. Lower temp, if needed. Add grated cheese and season with salt and pepper. Add drained pasta to cheese sauce.
7. To assemble Grilled Cheese: In large non stick skillet, heat on med/low. Spread mayo on one side of each slice of bread. Place 4 slices mayo side down in skillet. Add approx. 1/3 cup mac and cheese on each slice of bread in skillet. Coat each chicken tender in buffalo sauce and add two tenders on top of mac and cheese. Add approx. 1 oz blue cheese crumbles on top. Add slice of bread on top of blue cheese (mayo side up). When bottom slice is toasted, flip carefully. Grill other side until browned approx. 2 mins.
8. Remove from skillet and add to plate. Carefully remove top slice and add approx. 1/4 cup of slaw. Replace slice of bread, pressing lightly to insure closure.
Recipe makes 4 grilled cheese sandwiches