Friday, May 1, 2015
Chorizo Bacon Double Burger with Beer Glazed Pickles and Onions
1/2 lb thick cut bacon, fried (reserve grease)
2 TBS butter
2 TBS brown sugar
1 TBS jalapeno, sliced
1/4 cup gluten free beer
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 large cucumber, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 large red onion, slice 1/4 inch thick
2 lbs ground pork
3 chorizo links
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp course pepper
4 thick gluten free buns (or any thick bun), sliced in thirds (toasted on grill)
8 thick slices Havarti cheese
8 thick slices Cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded lettuce
8 thin slices tomato
8 sprigs cilantro
1/3 cup each of mayo, ketchup and Dijon mustard
1. Heat grill on medium/high heat. Cook bacon on grill safe pan, on grill. Brown on one side then flip and cook other side. Reserve grease.
2. In large bowl fold together ingredients for burger. Divide mixture into four balls, then divide each ball in half. Place each ball between plastic wrap or wax paper and hit with mallet to flatten. Good on grill for approx. 5 mins. each side. Remove from grill and cover. (burgers will continue to cook in sauce)
3. Heat skillet on side burner of grill to medium. Add bacon grease, butter, brown sugar and jalapenos. Cook, stirring until sugar dissolves, approx. 2 mins.
4. Add beer and balsamic. Cook down and reduce liquid, approx. 5 mins. or until thickens.
5. Add cucumbers and onions to sauce and cook until soft. Remove and cover
6. Add burgers to sauce and cook, flipping to cover both sides with sauce. Total 3 mins. Be careful not to over cook. Top burgers with one slice of cheese. Repeat process to cook remaining burgers.
7. To assemble burgers: Top each burger with Havarti cheese and cheddar cheese with the middle slice of bread separating the two. Add remaining ingredients.
Note: Brush buns with remaining sauce for flavor.