Search This Blog

Friday, December 21, 2018

Red Grapefruit Cake with Grapefruit/Cream Cheese Filling




Red Grapefruit Cake with Grapefruit/Cream Cheese Filling



This cake reminds me of my Italian Grandmother, Maria.  She loved to cook and 

bake.  I remember helping her peel potatoes and snapping beans in her kitchen, 

as a young girl.  We would go to her house on Sundays and eat her homemade

noodles.  I can see her now rolling out the pasta dough on her huge cutting board

Grandpa Gabriel made for her.  One of my Grandmothers favorite things to do was 

to create all kinds of different homemade cakes, made from scratch.  She would 

surprise everyone with a cake of their choice on any special occasion.  I would 

sit and wait for the phone to ring so I can put in my order.  One of my favorite cakes 

was her Maple Walnut Cake.  She made so many, how can I choose? 

 I decided to this Grapefruit Cake in memory of her. She loved to eat Grapefruit every

morning for breakfast.   I created many varieties of Grapefruit Cake 

but I wanted to create one with more of a Grapefruit filling.  You can also make this 

cake with a sugar/cinnamon walnut filling, like a coffee cake.

#Hellmanns, #foodfrommemories, #ContestEntry 



Grapefruit Cake 


Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter, melted
1-1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup mayonnaise ( I used Hellmann's)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
3 Tbs grapefruit zest, 3 Tbs for garnish
1 cup grapefruit juice
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2-1/4 cups flour
1 cup Pink Grapefruit Preserves 

Directions:

1.  In large bowl add butter, sugar, mayonnaise, sour cream, oil, zest, juice and 

vanilla.  Mix well

2.  In separate bowl sift salt, baking soda, baking powder and flour.  Add 1/2 tsp 

xanthan gum, if using gluten free flour.  


Directions:

1.  In mixing bowl add butter, sugar, mayonnaise, sour cream, oil, zest, juice and 

and vanilla.  Mix well.

2.  In separate bowl swift together, salt, baking soda, baking powder and flour.  

Combine two bowls together.  Mix well

3.  Pour into greased baking pans.  I used (4) 6 inch pans.

4.  Bake in 350 degree preheated oven for approx. 15 - 20 mins, depending on oven.

Remove from oven and let cool.  

5.  Layer cream cheese icing and grapefruit preserves between each layer.  



Cream Cheese Icing:
8 ozs soften cream cheese
2 Tbs butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup cream

No comments:

Post a Comment