Search This Blog

Saturday, October 24, 2020

Pumpkin Cannoli






Pumpkin Cannoli
I had this idea to make easy pumpkin cannoli.  I purchased these cannoli molds awhile back but really haven't used them yet.  I made these pizzelle's (thin waffle) to shape on the cannoli molds.  Needless to say, I was not happy with them.  I saw a post where someone made a thin crust and shaped the dough around the mold, squeeze the ends to create a seal.  I like this idea, but if you are like me I, can't see making another recipe when I have an ingredient sitting around that could get used up first.  

One day I had a taste for a toasted wrap sandwich.  I tend to buy a package of wraps, use a couple, and the remaining ones sit for days until I throw them away because I can't figure out how to use them up.  Of course, as I sit here, I can think of a nice cheesy egg wrap, Italian pressed wrap, or even some fried cut triangles, as chips to serve with a hearty bowl of chili.  But sometimes you just are not in the mood.  

I was in the mood for these little pumpkin desserts.  I grabbed the mold and wraps, and as I stood there trying to figure out, "how in the world am I going to hold this wrap around this mold and make it stay"?  Well, it's not going to happen.  I needed to pin it somehow, and it just will not work.  It is cooked already, not in a dough form, which would efficiently work.  This is when it hit me.  I decided to cut the perfect size round shapes and see if it would fit inside the mold.  This will hold the body while they bake in the oven.  
There was no need to spray the molds because after they baked, they slid right out of the mold.



Aren't these beautiful?  How did I ever think of this?


Next, I decided to add a bit of melted chocolate to the ends of the shells.  Not only did the chocolate pair well with the pumpkin, but it also helped the colors stand out.  



Next was the time to fill these little babies.  I had already chilled the pumpkin mixture in the refrigerator.  This was a straightforward recipe to make, using some of my pumpkin butter I had made and had on hand. Of course, you can use any store-bought, as well.       (See post for Pumpkin Butter)
Add your mixture to a piping bag, snip the end, and fill away.


                                                     I used a quinoa and chia seed tortilla

Ingredients:
1 cup ricotta cheese (whole milk)
1/4 cup pumpkin butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup melting chocolate
powdered sugar for garnish

To make shells:
3 large tortilla shells (makes 21 small shells) 
11 cannoli molds
1 large cookie-biscuit cutter

Directions:
1.  In a medium-size bowl, add ricotta cheese, pumpkin butter, sugar, and vanilla.  Mix well by hand or with an electric beater.  Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula and mix again.  Add to a piping bag and chill.  If you do not have piping bags, you can use a heavy plastic zip bag.
2.  Cut circles with the cutter out of the tortilla shells.  Cut as close to each circle, not leaving significant gaps between them to get as many rings as you can out of each tortilla. Place a circle inside the end of each cannoli shell by gently squeezing and placing inside.  Arrange them to form the proper shape.  Place the molds on a baking sheet—Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 10 mins, or until the ends start to toast.  Remove from the molds and let cool.
3.  Melt chocolate according to directions on the package.  Dip each end of the cannoli into the chocolate. Set on wax paper to set.  
4.  Snip the end of your piping bag and fill your cannoli shell by squeezing the mixture into the shell, starting from the center towards the end.  Turn the shell around and fill it using the same method.  Chill the cannoli until ready to serve.  They are best to serve almost immediately, within the same day.  

Note:  You may also use pumpkin pie mixture already seasoned





 

No comments:

Post a Comment