Search This Blog

Monday, October 19, 2020

Tater Tots


 Homemade Tater Tots

I have been wanting to make these for some time now.  When I first looked up some recipes I found all kinds of delicious recipes.  Some were plain, some spicy, some made with leftover mash, and some with shredded potatoes.  I wanted my texture to resemble a tater tot what we are all familiar with. You know the ones,....the ones sold in a bag found, in the frozen food section of the grocery store.  

Where did the tater tot come from?  Tater tots were invented in 1953 when an American frozen food company experimented with leftover slivers of cut-up potatoes.  

When my children were little, they loved tater tots.  They were the perfect size that fit into their tiny hands.  I would put an array of different sauces on the table, which allowed them to dip into and experiments with all the separate flavors.  Of course, their favorite dipping sauce was ketchup.  

Next, I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay with the original plain shredded potato tot.  I am an adventurous person and figured, hey if they don't come out right I can redo them.  So, I decided to make an adult tater tot, since I have no kids in the house to consider.  My choice was bacon, onion, garlic, and cheddar cheese.  I would use the cheddar cheese to help with the binding.  

Now, will I bake them or fry them?  I love fried foods.  This day I made the tots I happen to make other fried food the same day.  So, I decided to bake them.  How well will my tots stay together?  Should I use egg as another binder?  These were all questions that I had for myself to answer.  I knew I had to do a little experiment.  I made my mixture and then molded a couple tots together.  I placed them in my little toaster oven for 15 mins.  After letting them cool a bit I realized the bottom of the tot was crispy but the top was a lot softer.  I knew this would work in my convection oven at a higher temperature.  

And this is how my amazing tater tot recipe was born.



Ingredients:
2 large russet potatoes, peeled
2 TBS grated cheese
4 bacon strips, cooked and chopped fine
1 TBS chives
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

Directions:
1.  Peel potatoes and place them in a pot.  Cover potatoes with water.  Parboil the potatoes until they become almost soft in the center.  Note:  You do not want them all the way cooked.  Remove potatoes from the pot and let them cool.  With a box grater, shred them on the large shredder.  Add the potatoes to a mixing bowl. 
2.  Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.  Add grated cheese, bacon, chives, cheddar, garlic, and onion powders.  Fold to incorporate into the shredded potatoes.
3.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (I used my convection oven).  Fill a small cookie scoop with the filling.  Place in the center of your palm, gently squeeze the tot, and then mold into a tater tot shape.  Place the tot on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  If you do not have parchment paper just spray your baking sheet with cooking spray really well.  Repeat the molding process for the remaining tots.
Bake for approx. 25 mins or till desired crispiness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment