Tuesday, December 25, 2012
1 stick butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup bbq sauce, ( I use Outta the Park, original)
1/2 cup corn syrup (optional, honey)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp fresh jalepino, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups almonds
5 quarts popped popcorn
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (95 degrees C).
2. Place popcorn and almonds in a very large bowl.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, bbq sauce, corn syrup, ginger, jalepino and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla.
5. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.
6. Place in two large cookie sheets and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour.
7. Remove from oven and let cool completely on cool surface, before breaking into pieces.
Note: I use very large commercial cookie sheets. Make sure to spread popcorn out very thin. This way popcorn evenly bakes for sugar to caramelize.
Note: Optional: Add 1/2 tsp of Lemon Grass for different twist in flavor also.