Monday, June 17, 2013
Red Lentil Butternut Squash Soup
Olive oil for sautéing
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup parsnips, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
4 Tbs butter
1 cup red lentil, raw
1/4 cup white cooking wine
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups butternut squash, cooked
32 ozs chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Drizzle oil in large skillet, heat on medium until hot.
2. Add onion, parsnips, celery and garlic. Sautee until soft (approx. 10 mins) stirring.
3. Add butter and lentils, stir and sautee for 10-15 mins.
4. Add white cooking wine to deglaze pan. Season with salt and pepper
5. Add squash (reserving 1/4 cup for garnish) and broth, stir. Cover and simmer on low/med heat until lentils become soft.
6. Add contents of skillet to blender or food processor, puree. Add some chicken broth to blender to loosen puree. Add additional broth to blender to get excess mixture from sides. Add back to skillet with any left over broth.
7. To skillet, add parsley and cheese, stir. Simmer for additional 10 mins. Serve in bowls. Garnish with butternut squash and parsley.