Wild, Wild Southern Fried Green Tomatoes and Chicken Livers with Balsamic Vidalia Onions
Get a taste of the wild side. Go down South for that Southern inspired great tastes of one great meal. Crispy fried chicken livers and fried green tomatoes coupled with creamy avocado and sweet balsamic vadalia onion. Can be served as a main entry or sandwich.
2 large fresh green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 lb chicken livers, drained well
1 avocado, sliced
2 cups fresh spinach, cut julienne style
2 cups flour, plus 2 cups in separate bowl
1/4 cup A1 sauce
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh course pepper
Balsamic Onion Recipe:
1 large onion, slice into rings
2 TBS butter
2 TBS cooking oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 TBS white sugar
2 TBS A1 sauce
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp fresh course pepper
1. Heat oil in deep fryer. To see if oil is ready drop batter into hot oil. It should sizzle.
2. Mix all ingredients for batter in medium size bowl.
3. Season tomatoes slices and chicken livers with salt and pepper.
4. Drop sliced tomato into batter, flip to cover both sides. Then into bowl of plain flour. Cover completely. Drop into hot oil. Should only take approx. 30 second to brown. Remove and place on sheet of paper towel to absorb excess oil. Repeat process for remaining slices.
5. Follow same process for chicken livers.
6. For Onions: In medium size pan add butter and oil on medium heat. Add onions, sauté until almost soft. Add balsamic vinegar, sugar and A1, and reduce down until thickens.
7. Serve chicken livers on top of fried green tomatoes. Spoon onions and balsamic on top. Sprinkle with spinach and slices of avocado. Season well with sea salt and fresh black pepper.