Monday, February 23, 2015
Seared Pork Chops with Spicy Blueberry Bacon Jam
6 bacon strips, fried (reserve 4 TBS grease)
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup Ruby Red pink grapefruit juice
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 TBS fresh basil, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
4 seasoned pork chops
1. Fry bacon until crispy on both sides. Place on paper towel to absorb excess oil. Reserve 4 TBS bacon grease.
2. In small/medium size sauce pan, add grease. Heat on medium temperature.
3. Add onion, sauté until soft, stir (approx. 3-5 mins). Add garlic and sugar, stir. Saute for additional 2 mins or until sugar dissolves.
4. Add vinegar, grapefruit juice, blueberries, pepper flakes and basil, stir. Cook until blueberries soften (approx. 3 mins). Season with salt, to taste.
5. Chop bacon. Add approx. 4 strips to sauce pan, stir. Reduce liquid down until thickens and caramelizes. (approx. 3 mins)
6. Season with salt and pepper on both sides. Sear pork chops on both sides in same skillet used to fry bacon. ( approx. 4-5 mins. each side, depending on thickness)
Serve chops with Blueberry Bacon Jam. Garnish with additional bacon pieces and greens