8 strips thick cut bacon, fried. Reserve bacon and grease separately
2 small onions ( yielding 1 1/2 cups chopped)
1/3 cup half and half
8 slices hard bread ( I use gluten free), cubed
4 cloves garlic
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup fresh parsley, lightly packed and chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil, lightly packed and chopped
1 cup parmesan cheese (8 ozs)
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
8 TBS bacon grease
salt and pepper, to taste
2 1/2 lbs ground beef ( lean 90 %)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Puree onions and half and half in blender or food processor. Add to large mixing bowl.
3. Add cubed bread, toss. Let sit for 10 mins for bread to absorb liquid and flavors. Season with salt and pepper.
4. To mixing bowl add garlic, red bell peppers, parsley, basil, cheese, eggs, ricotta and bacon grease. Mix together until well incorporated.
5. Add ground beef. With hands, fold together until well incorporated. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
6. Add mixture to baking dish and spread evenly, patting down. Bake for approx 45-50 mins, or until starts to brown on top.
Makes 6-8 servings (depending on size of slices)
NOTE: This recipe can be made with Tomato Bacon Jam. Just crumble bacon on top of meatloaf when serving. Or just store and reserve for another meal.
Tomato Bacon Jam Recipe:
8 stips bacon, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, slice on half
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
3 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 lemon, Large, juiced
1/2 tsp red crushed pepper flakes
1 TBS basil, chopped
salt and course black pepper, to taste
1. Fry bacon until crispy on both sides. Approx 4-5 mins on each side. Remove and place on paper towel. Reserve 4 TBS bacon grease.
2. In medium size skillet heat bacon grease on med/high heat. Add bacon, tomatoes, onions and garlic. Sautee until soft. Approx 8-10 mins. Lower heat to medium. Stir
3. Add sugar and vinegar. Cook down until sugar dissolves. Approx. 3-4 mins. Stir
4. Add juice from 1 lemon, pepper flakes and basil. Stir. Season with salt and course black pepper. Stir
Serve with favorite meat or as topping on toasted bread