8 Squash blossoms, rinsed well, Squash, stems and buds removed (reserve squash)
(I use 4 green squash and 4 yellow squash for my ratatouille)
1 cup yellow squash, cubed
1 cup green squash, cubed
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup eggplant, cubed with skin
1 red bell pepper, cubed
1 cup grape tomatoes
1 28 oz crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil (Julienne).
1/4 tsp red crushed pepper flakes, or to liking
1/4 cup grated cheese
8 cubes of mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil (chopped fine)
1 egg yolk
2 TBS fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp baking powder
fry oil (approx. 1/2 - 3/4 cup) Depending on size of skillet
1 lb favorite pasta, cooked
1. In large skillet add 4 TBS fry oil. Heat on med/high. Add squash, onions, garlic, eggplant, peppers, grape tomatoes. Saute until soft (approx. 10-15 mins). Add crushed tomatoes, parlsey, basil and sun dried tomatoes, stir. Season with salt and pepper. Lower heat and simmer for 20 mins. Add grated cheese, stir and cover until ready to use.
2. In medium size bowl fold together ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, egg yolk, parsley, salt and pepper. Put aside
3. In separate medium size bowl add bread crumbs.
4. In separate medium size bowl whisk together flour, water and baking powder. Season with pinch of salt.
5. In small skillet add oil. Heat on med/high.
6. Carefully open blossoms. Place a piece of mozzarella cheese in center. Add approx. 1 heaping TBS of ricotta filling into center. Place blossom in batter and spoon on to cover completely. Place blossom into crumbs and cover completely, pressing gently so crumbs stick. Place blossom in hot oil. Fry approx. 1 min or until browns. With tongs, rotate to fry all sides. Repeat process with additional blossoms. Place on paper towel to drain excess oil.
Note: Blossoms can be found at most produce markets or Farms
Stems can be replaced for decoration for plating
Serve with ratatouille and pasta. Serves 4