Tuesday, July 21, 2015
Sharp Cooper Chicken
4 large chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise (seasoned with salt and pepper)
1/2 cup fry oil
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
2 garlic cloves
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 TBS fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 tsp red crushed pepper flakes, optional
8 slices Cooper Sharp White American Cheese
1. Trim and slice chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil in large cast iron pan (or oven safe skillet) on med/high heat.
3. Add breadcrumbs to medium size bowl. Add eggs to separate medium size bowl. Beat well.
4. Dredge each piece of chicken in egg, completely covering. Now dredge into breadcrumbs, completely coated. Add chicken to skillet and cook for approx. 4-5 mins, flip and brown other side (approx. additional 4-5 mins). Remove chicken from skillet and place in dish. Cover to keep warm.
5. Reduce heat to med/low. Add garlic to skillet and sauté for approx. 1-2 mins. Add tomatoes, herbs, 1/4 cup parmesan and red pepper flakes. Stir and simmer for 10 mins.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degree. Place chicken in skillet. Bake for 12-15 mins. Remove from oven. Add cheese slices and place back in oven to melt cheese, approx. 1-2 mins. Note: Watch carefully that cheese does not burn, just melt. Remove from oven and garnish with remaining parmesan cheese and fresh herbs.