Thursday, July 18, 2013
Port Capri Eggplant Burger
1 lb lean ground beef
1 cup Portobello mushroom, chopped fine
1/4 cup scallion, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
4 whole grain buns, toasted
1 slice breaded baked eggplant, per burger (recipe below)
1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced fine
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 Tbs olive oil
1 small eggplant
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups seasoned panko crumbs
4 slices mozzarella cheese
4 whole grain buns
1. In large bowl mix together beef, mushrooms, scallions. Season with salt and pepper. Mold into 4 even patties. Put aside
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel eggplant. Slice rings of approx. 1/4 inch slices.
3. Beat eggs in small bowl.
4. Add crumbs to separate small bowl.
5. Dip each slice of eggplant into egg, flipping to coat other side. Dip into crumbs covering both sides.
6. Place on cookie sheet. Bake for approx. 20 mins or until brown and crispy. Remove from oven.
7. In small bowl add, tomatoes and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Grill patties until done, approx. 5-8 mins on each side or to desired liking. Add one slice of mozzarella cheese to top of each burger.
9. To assemble burger: Add one slice of eggplant to toasted bun, add burger and then top with tomato and basil mixture.