Thursday, January 30, 2014
Buttermilk Pistaschio Chicken Salad with Greek Yogurt Avocado Buttermilk Dressing
Olive oil for sautéing
2 lbs thin sliced chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
20 Crunchmaster Roasted Garlic Crackers
1/2 cup gluten free flour
1/2 cup pistachios
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp pepper corns
1/8 tsp sea salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk, plus 1/4 cup for dressing
1 small avocado
2 tsp lemon juice, fresh
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1 large handful of fresh cilantro
1 TBS brown sugar, plus 1 TBS for onions
1 TBS Cider Vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
1 small red onion, sliced
2 TBS butter
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 cups lettuce greens
1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese crumbles, (gluten free), plus 1/4 cup for dressing
1/2 cup slice cucumbers
1/4 cup pistachios (salted or sugared)
1. Add oil in large sauté pan. Heat on med/high when ready to sauté chicken.
2. In food processor, add crackers, flour, pistachios, sugar, pepper corns and sea salt. Grind into powder. Put aside in flat dish.
3. In separate bowl add 2 eggs, beat. Add 1/2 cup buttermilk, blend together. Put aside
4. In food processor add avocado, lemon juice, yogurt, cilantro, 1 TBS brown sugar, vinegar, 1/4 cup buttermilk, 1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese, salt and pepper. Puree into dressing. Chill until ready to use.
5. Add sliced red onion to small sauce pan. Add butter, 1 TBS brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper, to taste. Heat on medium until onions are cooked, soft and balsamic becomes thickened. Remove from heat and put aside until ready to top on salad.
6. Dredge chicken into egg/buttermilk mixture. Coat on both sides. Then dredge coated chicken into breaded/flour mixture. Coat both sides. Place into heated sauté pan. Repeat process for addition chicken. When chicken in browned on both sides place on paper towels to drain excess oil. Cut into strips. Note: Chicken can also be cut first into strips, breaded and then sautéed.
7. Assemble salad with favorite lettuce greens and remaining ingredients. Serve with dressing, extra roasted garlic chips and top with balsamic onions.