Eggplant Escarole Lasagna
1 large eggplant (peeled and sliced into 1/8 inch rounds)
2 cups escarole, cooked and chopped and drained well
oil for sauteing
2 cups flour (I use gluten free blend)
4 eggs, beaten (2 eggs in separate bowls) (2 will be for eggplant dredging, 2 will be for ricotta mixture)
salt and pepper, to taste
2 lbs Il Villaggio ricotta salata cheese
1 TBS basil
1 TBS parsley
1 lb shredded Il Villaggio mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Il Villaggio parmesan cheese
1 large jar marinara sauce
1. Peel and slice eggplant.
2. Cook escarole, drain and chop well. Put aside.
3. Beat two eggs in two separate bowls, put aside
4. Place flour in separate bowl, put aside
5. Heat oil in large saute pan, on med heat.
6. Dedge a slice of eggplant into egg and then into flour. Place in saute and brown. Flip over and brown other side. Do this for remaining slices. When eggplant is brown, place on paper towels to drain excess oil. Season with salt and pepper.
7. In large mixing bowl add ricotta cheese, basil, parsley and 2 beaten eggs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
8. In large baking dish ladle sauce on bottom to cover.
9. Place eggplant across bottom on baking dish
10. Spread about 1 cup of ricotta cheese mixture across top of eggplant
11. Spread escarole across top of ricotta, desired amount (I use about 1/2 cup for each layer)
12. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese across next layer.
13. Sprinkle grated cheese across next layer.
14. Add another layer of tomato sauce. Repeat steps to complete additional layers. End Layers with eggplant topped with tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper between layers, if desired.
15. Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 mins. Remove and let sit for 30 mins before serving.
Note: Ingredients can be layered to your liking. Add additional mozzarella cheese to top of lasagna after it bakes. This will prevent cheese from burning. Slice like a regular lasagna. Serve as main dish or side dish.