Thursday, January 2, 2014
Gluten Free Triple Chocolate Pomegranate Coconut Bars
2 cups flour blend...(see flour blend below) or store bought blend
3/4 cup Scharffen Berger unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/2 cups turbinado sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 (6 ounce) pkgs. Scharfen Berger semisweet chunks
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions for Bars:
1. In large bowl mix add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Combine well.
2. In separate bowl add butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Mix well.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well. Toss in 1 pkg semisweet chocolate chunks and walnuts.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
5. Grease a 14 x 10 inch cookie sheet (not smaller)
6. Spread 1/2 dough evenly into cookie sheet
7. Spoon pomegranate sauce across top.
8. Spoon coconut cream across top.
9. Add remaining dough on top.
10. With a greased knife run through cookie dough, making swirls combining all ingredients together, slightly. Top with additional walnuts (optional).
11. Bake for approx. 25 - 30 mins, or until knife comes clean when center is poked with knife or toothpick.
12. Let cool completely. Slice into bars.
13. Place remaining choc in microwavable bowl. Melt for 1 min, remove and stir until completely melted.
14. Drizzle bars with melted choc. Garnish with additional pomegranate seeds.
Note: Adjust baking time with different size cookie sheet. Makes 24 bars
1 TBS butter, softened
2 TBS cream cheese, softened
1 TBS coconut oil
1 cup coconut flakes, minced
1 cup confectionery sugar
Directions for Coconut Cream:
1. In medium size bowl mix together butter, cream cheese and coconut oil.
2. Add coconut flakes to small food processor to mince. Add to bowl with confectionery sugar. Mix well. Put aside.
1 cup Ripe pomegranate, seed removed
1 TBS butter
4 TBS turbinado sugar
1 TBS bourbon
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Directions for Pomegranate Sauce:
1. Slice pomegranate in half and place in bowl of cool water. Break apart seeds from membrane, leaving seeds in bowl of water and discarding membrane. Little pieces of membrane will float to top of water. Dump water into sink with membrane pieces. Refill bowl with water, tossing seeds to loosen more membrane. Continue process until seeds are clean.
2. Add 1 cup pomegranate seeds to small sauce pan (low heat).
3. Add salt, butter and turbinado sugar. Cook down until liquid reduces down and becomes syrupy.
4. Add bourbon and vanilla, stir. Cook for additional 2-3 mins. Put aside.
Gluten Free Flour Blend:
2 cups Rice Flour
2 cups Oat Flour
1 1/3 cup potato starch
2/3 cup tapioca flour
2 tsp xanthan gum
Directions for Flour Blend:
1. Blend all ingredients in large bowl. Mix well. Store in air tight container.