Saturday, April 19, 2014
Crusted Parmesan Italian Bagel
4 plain bagels, sliced in half
1 stick butter
8 slices roast beef
8 slices prosciutto
8 slices soppressata
8 slices mortadella
8 slices fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (for topping and pesto)
1/2 cup marinara sauce
4 TBS olive oil
2 TBS capers
3 large basil leaves
1 garlic clove
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In large skillet, coat heavily with cooking spray. Heat on me/high heat.
2. Butter outside of bagel slices. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Reserving 2 TBS for pesto. Place buttered side down in skillet.
3. Place slice of mozzarella on each slice then two each of the other meats. End with another slice of mozzarella on top. Place other bagel slice on top, buttered side up. Grill until browned and crusted. Flip.
4. Grill other side until browned and crusted. Removed from pan.
5. In food processor add olive oil, capers, basil, garlic and 2 TBS grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Puree.
6. Gently remove top slice and add marinara and pesto. Sprinkle with any additional parmesan cheese. Serve on bed of green leaf lettuce. Makes 4 sandwiches