Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Potachio Cheddar Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups flour (I use my gluten free blend)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/8 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
5 TBS melted butter
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup mashed potatoes, room temperature
1 lime, juiced (reserve zest)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (Use a good sharp cheese)
1/2 cup cilantro (reserve 1 TBS for frosting)
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup pistachio
4 ozs mascarpone cheese, room temperature
1/2 stick butter, room temperature
4 TBS leftover mashed potatoes, room temperature
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar
1 lime, zest only
1/3 cup pistachios, chopped for topping
Gluten Free Flour Blend:
4 cups Rice Flour
1 1/3 cup potato starch or corn starch
2/3 cup tapioca flour
2 tsp xanthan gum
Directions: Blend all ingredients well. Store in air tight container.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 ct cupcake tray with papers. Lightly grease papers with cooking spray.
2. In medium size bowl add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir and put aside
3. In larger bowl cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs, milk, potatoes, lime juice and cheese. Whisk to blend.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet. Fold to blend.
5. In medium size food processor add cilantro and vanilla. Puree. Put aside 1 TBS for frosting
6. Add pistachios to processor, puree to make paste. Add to mixture. Fold to blend.
7. Fill paper liners approx. 1/3 of the way. Bake for 10-12 mins. or until done. Poke toothpick or knife through center of cupcake to check if done. If comes out wet continue to bake. Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
8. Frosting: In large bowl add (room temperature) mascarpone cheese, butter, potatoes, cheddar and vanilla. Whisk. Add powdered sugar and lime zest. Whisk or fold with large spoon to blend. Then add puree. Fold gentle but do not completely combine. You want to create a two-tone effect for piping.
9. Frost cupcakes by using pastry bag or just spread with frosting knife. Sprinkle pistachios on top.
Makes 12 cupcakes.