Monday, August 24, 2015
Coconut Grilled Shrimp and Corn Soup
1 lb Gulf Jumbo shrimp shells (reserve shrimp)
4 cups water
2 bay leaves
5 parsley stems, with leaves
5 thyme stems with leaves
1 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 large garlic, chopped
4 TBS olive oil
1 cup potatoes, peeled and cubed small
1/2 cup shallots, chopped
1 cup leeks, chopped
3 cups celery, chopped (reserve some leaves for garnish)
1 cup fennel, chopped (reserve some leaves for garnish)
1/2 cup red bell pepper (reserve some for garnish)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup Sambuca ( an Italian aniseed-flavored liqueur )
3 TBS butter
2 TBS Jalapeno, chopped
1/2 cup of parsley leaves
1/4 cup thyme leaves
1 lemon zested and juiced (reserve some zest for garnish)
1 cup fresh coconut cream (see directions)
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp coarse pepper, or to taste
2 sweet ears of corn, grilled
1 cup fresh coconut milk (see directions)
1/4 cup Sambuca
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Peel and devein shrimp. Place shells in medium size pot with remaining ingredients for fish stock. Cook on medium/low for approx 20-25 mins. Strain liquid and reserve.
2. Place shrimp in medium size bowl. Add ingredients for shrimp marinade. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. In large skillet heat oil on med/high heat. Add potatoes, shallots, leeks, celery, fennel and bell peppers. Cover and saute for approx 15 mins or until soft. Add garlic, stir and saute for another 2-3 mins. Deglaze pan with sambuca, scrapping bottom of pan to loosen any flavor. Add butter, jalapeno, parsley, thyme, lemon juice, zest and coconut cream. Season with salt and pepper to liking. Add approx 1 cup of the broth. Lower temperature and simmer for approx. 10 mins.
4. Grill corn. Scrap corn from cob. Place in bowl and season with salt and pepper.
5. Remove shrimp from marinade. Place on paper towel. Grill 2-3 mins on each side or until done.
6. Puree soup in blender until smooth. Add additional broth, if needed. Serve in individual bowls. Top with shrimp then garnish with corn, red bell peppers, fennel leaves, celery leaves, parsley and lemon zest.
To make coconut milk and coconut cream: This recipe is optional: Can be made ahead of time.
1. Drill holes into coconut and drain water.
2. Break open coconut. Separate the coconut from shell. Peel any brown fibers from coconut. Break into small pieces.
3. Add coconut to blender with 2 cups of boiling water. Puree until smooth.
4. Pour into large bowl with cheesecloth over top. Squeeze the coconut flesh, in the cheesecloth as hard as you can to release all liquid. Discard coconut. Let liquid sit for approx. 10 mins. The liquid will separate the milk from cream. Scrap the cream from the top and place in separate bowl or container.