Oh No, we lose an hour sleep on Day Light Savings Morning!
Well, not really if you make this easy, Breakfast Strata (Casserole).
This delicious Strata is literally put together, the night before.
Just pop this lovely prepared dish, into the oven the next morning.
You will have breakfast before you realize it.
Ingredients for Strata
8 slices Bread
8 tsp dijon mustard
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS butter
breakfast sausage (see recipe)
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup spinach, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
8 ozs Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded. (I like Cabot)
12 large eggs, beaten and seasoned with salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 cherry peppers, chopped
1.25 lb ground Pork
1/4 c brown sugar
2 Tbs ground sage
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Directions for Sausage:
1. Mix all ingredients together in bowl. Put aside
1. Spray large baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Spread 1 tsp dijon mustard on top of each slice of bread. Place in baking dish (mustard side up). Cut bread if needed to fit, covering bottom of dish.
3. In large skillet heat oil and butter on med/high. Add sausage mixture. Cook until almost browned. Add onions, spinach and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until veggies are soft. Approx. 8-10 mins. Pour on top of bread in baking dish.
4. Shred cheese. Sprinkle on top of sausage/veggie mixture
5. Beat eggs and milk in bowl. Season with salt. Pour over top of cheese. Shake dish to assure egg mixture gets in between slices of bread. Top with chopped cherry peppers.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
7. Next morning: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake covered for 30 mins. Remove cover and bake for an additional 25-30 mins, or until egg is completely cooked.