Sunday, January 4, 2015
Cheddar "Cheese" Cake with Strawberry Balsamic Reduction
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
4 oz butter, room temperature
1/2 cup milk ( I use soy)
6 egg yolks, beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBS lemon juice
2/3 cup flour (I use my gluten free blend)
4 oz shredded cheddar (I use a good sharp and shred myself)
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 inch round spring form pan.
2. In large bowl whisk together cream cheese and butter until blended well. Add milk, whisk to combine.
3. In two small bowl separate egg yolks from egg whites. Beat yolks and add to large bowl with salt vanilla, lemon juice, flour and cheddar. Whisk.
4. In medium size bowl or kitchen aid mixer add egg white, cream of tartar and 1/4 cup white sugar. Mix until firm peak forms. (Approx. 5 mins) Add remaining sugar and continue mixing for additional 1-2 mins. Add to large bowl and fold egg whites into cheese batter until completely combined.
5. Pour into spring form pan. Bake for approx. 45 minutes or until set and golden brown on top. Open oven door and let sit for additional 1 hour in oven. Remove from oven. Serve room temperature with favorite topping.
Strawberry Balsamic Reduction:
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 TBS white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1. Add balsamic, sugar and salt to medium sauce pan. Heat on high to rolling bowl. Stir to prevent sugar from burning. Reduce liquid down to about half. Drizzle on slice of cake and serve with fresh strawberries.