My inspiration for this dish comes from my Asian Market, which I visit often. Since I have had to go gluten free, due to health reasons, I find it so comforting to know I can still create, cook and eat many dishes. This, is my version of Asian Seafood Soup I used from ingredients, I usually keep in stock.
This broth is so exceptionally good and so easy to make. This does not require a lot of expensive seafood. The hardest part of this dish is having to ask the Seafood Market Guy to weigh and package small amounts of each seafood. So take a walk through your Asian Market and see what you can come up with!!!
2 cups sweet onion, chopped
2 cups celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
12 cups water
1/3 cup carrots, slivered
1 TBS ginger paste
1 TBS lemongrass paste
1 tsp chili paste
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1 dozen little neck clams, brushed clean
1/2 lb each of peeled, deveined large shrimp and sea scallops
1/2 cup scallions, sliced
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms, thin
10 sprigs cilantro or picked leaves
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add onions, celery and garlic to large pot with water. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer on medium heat until veggies are soft. Approx. 30 mins. Drain liquid well from veggies, reserving the liquid. Return liquid to pot. (use veggies or part, or discard)
2. Add carrots, ginger, lemongrass, chili and oyster sauce. Stir. Simmer on medium heat for additional 15 mins. Season with salt and pepper, to taste (If needed)
3. Add clams to pot. Cook until clams open. Approx. 10 mins
4. Add shrimp and scallops. Cook for additional 5-10 mins depending on size.
5. Put in serving bowls. Top with scallions, mushrooms and cilantro.