Move over Pineapple Upside Down Cake. This is my Cherry Coffee Upside Down Strata. Stuffed with creamed brie and chunks of coffee flavored bread cubes. Topped with sweet taste of the very well known "Door County Cherries".
8 cups cubed bread, packed. Toasted
1 jar Chopped Cherry Jam
3 (5 ozs) pks creamed brie cheese
10 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup espresso coffee, strong
8 TBS butter, melted
1/4 cup cherry syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 TBS white sugar (optional)
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Add cubed bread to large baking sheet. Toast in oven for 15 mins.
2. Add cherry jam to greased cast iron skillet. Spread across bottom.
3. Add half of the bread to skillet. Add spoonfuls of brie cheese to top, dividing evenly. Add remaining bread to top of brie, spreading evening across skillet.
4. Add beaten eggs, coffee, butter, syrup, cinnamon and salt to bowl. Mix well. Add egg mixture to skillet, over bread. Let soak for 30 mins. Press down occasionally to make sure all the bread soaking up egg.
5. Bake for 15 mins covered. Bake another 10 mins uncovered. Remove from oven and sprinkle white sugar over top. Rest for 10-15 mins. Loosen edges with knife. Flip onto serving dish.
Serves 8-10 people